With so many old buildings in New England, it’s not unusual to see old mills or even churches transform into retail space or condominiums. But what about town halls taking on a new purpose?
In Berkshire County, Massachusetts, two former town halls just a few miles from each other may soon see new life.
West Stockbridge has about 1,300 residents, so the town’s center is quite small. The old town hall has been a fixture on the village’s main street since 1854.
It’s a simple-looking, two-story wooden building with white clapboards and tall rectangular windows. Before being officially designated as the town hall early in the last century, the building served as a barber shop, library, and even a bank.