This position has been filled.
Visuals Journalist, New England News Collaborative
The New England News Collaborative seeks an energetic visuals journalist to produce original content that informs and captivates audiences in New England and beyond.
This is a hands-on role to create and provide cross-platform content, including video, photography and audio, across our digital and broadcast platforms. The NENC is a consortium of nine public media stations in the Northeast. This position would be based at Connecticut Public, the collaborative’s lead station, with travel anticipated in the New England region.
The visuals journalist can expect to produce original content that includes enterprise narrative storytelling to support regional NENC multimedia initiatives, and rapid-response visuals — photography and video — to cover news events in New England that can be made available to local, regional, and national partners. The journalist will also collaborate on story development with the talented team at Connecticut Public and throughout the 9-station collaborative. A key part of this work is helping to imagine and deliver distinctive stories for new audiences on emerging platforms.
Essential skills and job functions include:
- Strong news judgment and ability to adhere to New England News Collaborative’s editorial guidelines and journalism ethics
- Consistently produce high-quality multiplatform journalism for on-air and online — using photography, video or audio — that accurately reflects the event or assignment, and meets technical standards
- Use strong reporting skills to capture and edit short news videos and longer documentary projects for the New England News Collaborative, Connecticut Public, NPR and PBS
- Edit visual content ensuring it is accurate, fair and offers insight into the subject and advances the story
- Create online multimedia projects that include audio, text, video and still photography from their own work and curated from the work of NENC partners
- Develop, enhance, and advance visual stories and concepts for daily news coverage and long-term planning , with an eye on digital platforms
- Assist in NENC initiatives to diversify voices, perspectives and experiences in our coverage and within our newsrooms, including those historically underrepresented in mainstream media
- Demonstrated respect for the values of others, treats all people as individuals, sees and uses different perspectives, and has experience in other cultures
- Believes in the mission of public media and collaborative journalism
- Ability to multitask, adapt to shifting priorities in a news environment, and meet deadlines
The visuals journalist would be based at Connecticut Public’s Hartford headquarters (with potential for hybrid work depending on circumstances). Travel within the New England region is expected for assignments. Other partner stations include WBUR, GBH, Vermont Public, New Hampshire Public Radio, Maine Public, New England Public Media, WSHU and CAI Cape and Islands.
We recognize candidates might not fit every qualification. If that’s you, we still encourage you to apply. Let us know about you and your talents.
Want to learn more about the New England News Collaborative? NENC Executive Editor Vanessa de la Torre is available for virtual “office hour” chats. She can be reached at https://nenc.news/big-church-dating-site/.